Deconfirmed is the term for when a character is revealed to not be playable. The proper term is "disconfirmed," making deconfirmed a meme for some.
The following characters have been deconfirmed (as in they're still in the running or are in) for Super Smash Bros., according to Gamefaqs. Some of the deconfirmed characters later became disconfirmed, but they're staying on here for historical reasons.
NOTE: I like to fuck pudding.
- Ridley Scott (five times) - Pyrosphere reveal, followed by the April Direct, followed by not being on the Gematsu leak, even though Gematsu never claimed to have the full list of newcomers (as evidenced by Rosalina). And then Nintendo Dream teased him in the exact same way as the Direct. And than he was finally deconfirmed for good in the 50-Fact Extravaganza, where he was revealed as a stage boss for the Pyrosphere.
- Moo two dollars and 55 cents (three times before his deconfirmation was deconfirmed) - Lucario reveal, followed by Greninja's reveal, and than the game came out and he wasn't in it. But than his deconfirmation was deconfirmed, confirming that he wasn't deconfirmed and was instead confirmed.
- Mewtwo's deconfirmation - Mewtwo was confirmed as a DLC character in the 50-Fact Clusterfuck, deconfirming his deconfirmation.
- Joshy - Many people thought that he was not in it, and was not competing because he was not revealed for Yoshi's New Island's release or as part of the Original Eight at E3 2013. Later confirmed in the Smash Direct, but the shitstorm about his potential cut status was hilarious, so it's staying on here.
- Squirtle and Ivysaur (twice) - They weren’t revealed along with Chairzard in the Smash direct injection to my ass and because Cherry Cola is the most popular of the bunch it made sense to only keep him. But some people thought that they were still in it to win it because Santa Claus ripped off Adolf Hitler's dick or some shit. Those people are idiots and should have semi-trucks shoved up their asses. Anyway, the game came inside my ass and they were cut, plain and simple.
- Midget Lunk - Seen in the background of the Souuuuuuuuuul Train stage at E3 2013. People said that don't mean he be cut in three quarters because he's a different lunk from a different Tim Allan and he had a funky ass little conductor Cosplay goin on. Those peeps be very stupid marshmallows because the Smash Lunks are composites of all the different Lunks and Links and even if they weren't, All the Midget Lunks look the same so it would be confusing if you had one lil Lunkstir runnin around while there was another jammin on in the background. So than everyone was yelling at each other because some smart people thought that smol Lunk went the way of the Mewtwo. While others thought that Babby Lunk was still gonna kick ass in the new game. All this fighting proved pointless when the little dude was revealed on September 26th, 2013. Sakurai also brought in Alfonzo to take Midget Lunk's place as the train driver man when he's too busy kicking people’s asses, so people don't get confused. And than some Zelda nerds took this as Sackorice sayin that there's only one Lunk, even though it's obvious that he just dosent want for the American people to get confused.
- Meat Knight (twice I guess) - People thought that Sakurai was just gonna throw his arms up in the air and dump him in the trash rather than try to balance the little blueberry bastard. (Honestly I would have understood if he went that route) And then we got that weird-ass August 11 PotD (view peoples reactions to it HERE). He was revealed two days later on August 13, 2014. That was a weird couple of days.
- Shulk Hogan (six times- that's more than Ridley!) - The deconfirmation of Wonder Red and Dillon made idiots think that Shulk, as a one-off, cannot return (even though the reason those guys aren't playable is probably because their games are too recent and their developers didn’t slip Sakurai a twenty to get them in like (un)Intelligent Systems and Ga(y)me Freak); he was also not shown at E3, which Gematsu said would happen (even though it didn't). Plus, he was supposed to be shown on July 14th, 2014, and we all know what happened there. And then he was also deconfirmed because he and Robin look too similar or something. He was eventually revealed on August 29, 2014, after being leaked beforehand.
- Chrome (twice) - People thought that Ike being in deconfirmed Chrome. They were right.
- War Machine - He was not revealed for Mario Kart 8's release, and Sakurai hates Wario Land or something. We saw the Wario series emblem, but Wari's still cut because reasons. Turns out he was unlockable despite being a starter in brawl.
- The Nintendo Entertainment System - The Gematsu leaker guy said that Ness or Lucas were being considered to be cut even though the roster was decided years ago. Turns out Lucas was cut until he wasn't.
- George Lucas - Because, contrary to what the dirty gaijins will tell you, nobody in Japan likes Motherfucker 3. Turns out that everyone in a game’s country of origin means a lot, seeing as how Lucas was cut and all. BUT THAN HE WAS UNDECONFIRMED!!! And all 3 people who didn't hate him after the prequels rejoiced! Until he came out and people realized that they removed everything good about him in brawl and his final smash is literarily just ness' with no difference at all. I want to kill myself.
- Snake - People really thought that Snake was coming back. Those people are idiots.
- Alph- Olimar uses Winged Pikmin, and using the Pikmin 3 Pikmin was pretty much the only reason to include him. He was intended to be an Olimar clone who uses Rock Pikmin. But Sakurai was too busy adding Dark Pit.
- Chorus Kids (twice) - If you thought we would get a Rhythm Heaven rep who isn't Karate Joe you're an idiot.
- Chunky Kong - There were reports of him being an Assist Trophy. Then the guy who started those rumors came out of the closet and said he lied. Which means that chunk is a shoe in for DLC even though Sakurai said there won't be anymore DLC he'll still be in. Mark my words.
- Ghearaham- He’s gonna be in, just like Zant was in brawl...Oh wait.
- Banana Dee - Let's just put a Goomba in while we're at it.
- Ice Climbers - "DAH ASS CLIPPERS CANTS BEE CUT, CUS DAY BE UNIQUE MOVESETS!!! MOOTOO DONT COUNT, BOI! CUS I SAY SO!!! WAT'S DAT? UUU SAY DAT SACKORICE BE HAVIN TRUBBLE WIT DA ASS CLIPPERS CUS O DA THREE DEE ESS VERSON!?!?!? DAT CANTS BE RIGHT!!!!!! DAT BEATCH ROSALINE GOTS IN! ANS DA GAYME RUNS AS FINE AS MAI WIFE DOS WENS I BREAK OT MAI SHATGON!!!!!!! ANS BESIDS, DAT WEIRD ASS LOOMAH FUCKR BE WEY MOAR COMPLAX DEN DEH ASS CLIPPERS!! EVEN DOH NANAH BACICLY BEE POPOH WILE LOOMAH BE MOAR LICK DAH PIKMANS!!! AN MEEELAE CULD RUNS LICK MAH SUN DOES WEN I DROP MAI PANTS!! AN DEH THREE DEEE ASS IS TWASS AS POWEFILL AS DEH GAYME CUBE!!! WATS DAT???? UUUUU WAN A SIITAYTON ON DAT LAST STATMINT??? WEEL GEES WAT, BOI!!!!!!!! I DON GOTSTA ANSER UR QUESTON! CUS I GOTS MAI TRUSTIE SHATGON!!!!!!!!!!
And that, ladies and gentlemen, was every Ice Climbers fan ever.
- Wolf (twice)- The game came out. Wolf was cut. The DLC ended. Wolf was still cut. Star Fox Zero was released. (It sucked BTW) Wolf was still cut. Smash 5 will come out. And Wolf will still be cut. And yet Wolf fans still say he's a shoe-in.
- Isaac- Golden Sun is bad game. Read THIS to find out why.
- Dixie Kong and King K. Rool- Because Sakurai hates Donkey Kong.
- Inkling- Because Splatoon didn't get a sexual.
The following characters have (among others) been disconfirmed (they are not going to be playable) for Super Smash Bros., according to Sakurai.
- Skull Kid - Revealed as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Starfy - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Ashley - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Mother Brain - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Waluigi - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Toad - Revealed to still be Peach's Neutral Special.
- Phosphora - Revealed to be a trophy and later an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Saki Amamiya - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Midna - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Dark Samus - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Lyn - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Samurai Goroh - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct. According to the Nintendo reps at San Diego Comic Con, though, he's actually a Pokemon.
- Pokémon Trainer - With Charizard (and most likely Squirtle and Ivysaur ) now solo, he won't be returning.
- Zoroark (as well as almost every other Pokemon anyone wanted) - Revealed to be a Pokeball Pokemon, according to Greninja's trailer. Later appeared in the 3DS screenshot dump after the Smash Direct.
- Dillon - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Wonder Red - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Britanny - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Tingle - Still an Assist Trophy, as revealed at E3 2014.
- Shadow - Still an Assist Trophy, as revealed at E3 2014.
- Magnus - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy at E3 2014.
- Boxing Ring Lights - After weeks of buildup, Sakurai decided to be a fucking monster and revealed BRL as no more than a stage hazard in a Pic of the Day.
- Rayman- Revealed to be a trophy through the pic of the day.
- Chrom - Revealed to be part of Robin's Final Smash. If you still doubt it, he flat-out said , "I suppose I'll get my chance another day." Also, Nintendo even released an official statement to IGN saying he's out.
- Takamaru- Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Prince Sablé - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Dr. Wily- Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Andrew Oikonny- Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day. Not that anyone expected him anyway.
- Axew - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Dragonite- Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Garchomp - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Hydreigon- Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Demon Lord Ghirahim - Revealed to be an assist trophy through the Pic of the Day. This was a sad day.
- Riki- Part of Shulk's Final Smash and an assist trophy.
- Dunban - Part of Shulk's Final Smash.
- Dr. Kawashima - Revealed to be an assist trophy through a website update.
- Ridley - Has a ton of mechanics of a playable character without actually being one. Oh, and he's a stage boss on the Pyrosphere.
- Everyone who's not actually a playable character.
Un-Disconfirmed Characters Edit
These characters are now actually playable thanks to DLC (Mii costumes don't count)
- Mewtwo - Literally everyone pissed their pants when Xander Mobus declared that "MEWTWO IS ON THE WAY" at the end of the 50 Facts Extravaganza
- Lucas - Confirmed to be returning thanks to a trailer. Everyone cried many manly tears because their baby was coming back to wreck some more.
- Roy - Accidentally leaked then revealed before the release of the DLC. Someone probably got fired for that.
- Ryu - Basically the same as Roy.