Deconfirmed is the term for when a character is revealed to not be playable. The proper term is "disconfirmed," making deconfirmed a meme for some. Which is ironic since even though "disconfirmed" actually is a word, it's still not used properly in this context.
The following characters have been deconfirmed (as in they're still in the running or are in) for Super Smash Bros., according to Gamefaqs. Some of the deconfirmed characters later became disconfirmed, but they're staying on here for the time being.
NOTE: These compile the general thoughts of the fanbase over the time of pre-release (as well as some more recent memes).
- Ridley (five times) - Pyrosphere reveal, followed by the April Direct, followed by not being on the Gematsu leak, even though Gematsu never claimed to have the full list of newcomers (as evidenced by Rosalina). And then Nintendo Dream teased him in the exact same way as the Direct. And then he was finally deconfirmed for good in the 50-Fact Extravaganza, where he was revealed as a stage boss for the Pyrosphere.
- Mewtwo (three times before his deconfirmation was deconfirmed) - Lucario reveal, followed by Greninja's reveal, and than the game came out and he wasn't in it. But than his deconfirmation was deconfirmed, confirming that he wasn't deconfirmed and was instead confirmed.
- Mewtwo's deconfirmation - Mewtwo was confirmed as a DLC character in the 50-Fact Clusterfuck, deconfirming his deconfirmation.
- Yoshi - Many people thought that he was not in it, and was not competing because he was not revealed for Yoshi's New Island's release or as part of the Original Eight at E3 2013. Later confirmed in the Smash Direct, but the shitstorm about his potential cut status was hilarious, so it's staying on here.
- Squirtle and Ivysaur (twice) - They weren't revealed along with Chairzard in the Smash Direct, which caused people to immediately scream that they were cut despite Samus and Zelda having staggerd reveals from Zero Suit Samus and Sheik. Add in how Sakurai said that he didn't like cuts, and there was a case for keeping them in. The people who were optimistic about keeping unique characters in are idiots and should have a semi-truck shoved up their ass. Anyway, the game came inside my ass and they were cut, plain and simple.
- Toon Link - Seen in the background of the Spirit Train stage at E3 2013. Even though it was canonically a completely different Link and wearing a different costume, was assumed to be cut. Was ironically one of the first couple characters revealed, on September 26th, 2013. And then Sakurai still brought in Alfonzo, meaning he now considers them the same Link. Really, Sakurai?
- Meta Knight (twice I guess) - People thought that Sakurai was just gonna throw his arms up in the air and dump him in the trash rather than try to balance the little blueberry bastard. (Honestly I would have understood if he went that route.) And then we got that weird-ass August 11 PotD (view peoples reactions to it HERE). He was revealed two days later on August 13, 2014. That was a weird couple of days.
- Shulk Hogan (six times - that's more than Ridley!) - The disconfirmation of Wonder Red and Dillon made idiots think that Shulk, as a one-off, cannot return (even though the reason those guys aren't playable is probably because their games are too recent and their developers didn't slip Sakurai a twenty to get them in like (un)intelligent systems); he was also not shown at E3, which Gematsu said would happen (even though it technically only guessed at that). Plus, he was supposed to be shown on July 14th, 2014, and we all know what happened there. And then he was also deconfirmed because he and Robin look the similar or something. He was eventually revealed on August 29, 2014, after being leaked beforehand.
- Chrom (twice) - People thought that Ike being in deconfirmed Chrome. They were right. Sort of. Also when he didn't show up at E3 even though our old buddy Sal thoguht otherwise.
- Wario - He was not revealed for Mario Kart 8's release, and Sakurai hates Wario Land or something. We saw the Wario series emblem, but Wario's still cut because reasons. Turns out he was unlockable despite being a starter in Brawl.
- Ness - The gematsu leaked guy said that Ness or Lucas were considered to be cut even though the roster was decided years ago. Turns out Lucas was cut until he wasn't.
- George Lucas - Because, contrary to what the dirty gaijin tell you, nobody in Japan likes Motherfucker 3. Turns out that everyone in this game country of origin means a lot, seeing as how Lucas was cut and all. BUT THAN HE WAS UNDECONFIRMED!!! And all 3 people who didn't hate him after the prequels rejoiced! Until he came out and people realized that they removed everything good about him in Brawl and his Final Smash is literally just Ness' except unaltered from Brawl. I want to kill myself.
- Snake (thrice) - Hideo Kojima, a notorious troll who had literally just finished trolling his fanbase with Phantom Pain, vaguely said he didn't know if Snake would be in while laughing to himself; also, Konami doesn't appear in the credits for the Japanese advertisement, even though Shigesato Itoi and Ape, Inc. don't appear either, so we guess both Lucas and Ness are cut as well. No Monolith, so Shulk doesn't have a chance either. Zero Suit Samus was given his Final Smash despite the fact that the only similarity is a crosshair. Also, Snake can't be in because it's physically impossible for him to be in a game rated any lower than T. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel wasn't rated E and doesn't exist.
- Alph - Olimar uses Winged Pikmin, and using the Pikmin 3 Pikmin was pretty much the only reason to include him. He was intended to be an Olimar clone who uses Rock Pikmin. but Sakurai was too busy adding Dark Pit.
- Chorus Men (twice) - If you think we would get a Rhythm Heaven rep who isn't Karate Joe or Marshall for some reason, you're either a Gematsu follower or an idiot, not that there's much of a difference.
- Chunky Kong - There were reports of him being an Assist Trophy. Then the guy who started those rumors came out of the closet and said he lied. Which means that chunk is a shoe in for DLC. Even though Sakurai said there won't be anymore DLC, he'll still be in. Mark my words.
- Ghirahim - He wasn't shown during the Hyrule Warriors Direct, so he's out.
- Banana Dee - Waddle Dee is an enemy in smash run, he's CLEARLY not playable! Also, despite having rising in prominence and slowly approaching Meta Knight levels, he's not technically a Sakurai character (Sakurai just created him as a joke character; HAL later reinvented him after Sakurai left), so he'll never make it in anyway.
- Ice Climbers - We're just going to skip this section. It's a mess on both sides.
- Wolf (twice) - The game came out. Wolf was cut. The DLC ended. Wolf was still cut. Star Fox Zero was released. (It sucked BTW.) Wolf was still cut. Smash 5 will come out. And Wolf will still be cut. And yet Wolf fans still say he's a shoe in.
- Isaac - Because Robin uses magic in addition to a sword. Never mind that the two aren't similar at all, Robin clearly took Isaac's spot. There was hope when it turned out that his Assist Trophy was cut, but then he didn't get so much as a single mention. Just two songs, neither of which was a remix composed for this game.
- Dixie Kong and King K. Rool - Because Sakurai hates Donkey Kong.
- Inkling - Because Splatoon didn't get a sexual.
- Every RPG character ever - Because no one can top Cloud, he fills the RPG niche, and every single RPG protagonist is a blonde, spikey-haired spellsword just like Cloud. There are no exceptions.
The following characters have (among others) been disconfirmed (they are not going to be playable) for Super Smash Bros., according to Sakurai.
- Skull Kid - Revealed as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Starfy - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Ashley - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Mother Brain - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Waluigi - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Toad - Revealed to still be Peach's Neutral Special.
- Phosphora - Revealed to be a trophy and later an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Saki Amamiya - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Midna - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Dark Samus - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Lyn - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct.
- Samurai Goroh - Revealed to return as an Assist Trophy in the Smash Direct. According to the Nintendo reps at San Diego Comic Con, though, he's actually a Pokemon.
- Pokémon Trainer - With Charizard (and most likely Squirtle and Ivysaur - no, they're gone too for some reason) now solo, he won't be returning.
- Zoroark (as well as almost every other Pokemon anyone wanted) - Revealed to be a Pokeball Pokemon, according to Greninja's trailer. Later appeared in the 3DS screenshot dump after the Smash Direct.
- Dillon - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Wonder Red - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Britanny - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Tingle - Still an Assist Trophy, as revealed at E3 2014.
- Shadow - Still an Assist Trophy, as revealed at E3 2014.
- Magnus - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy at E3 2014.
- Boxing Ring Lights - After weeks of buildup, Sakurai decided to be a fucking monster and revealed BRL as no more than a stage hazard in a Pic of the Day.
- Rayman - Revealed to be a trophy through the pic of the day. Although it was done in a confusing way.
- Chrom - Revealed to be part of Robin's Final Smash. If you still doubt it, he flat-out said , "I suppose I'll get my chance another day." Also, Nintendo even released an official statement to IGN saying he's out.
- Takamaru - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Prince Sablé - Revealed to be an Assist Trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Dr. Wily - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day.
- Andrew Oikonny - Revealed to be a trophy through the Pic of the Day. Not that anyone expected or even wanted him anyway.
- Axew - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Dragonite - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Garchomp - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Hydreigon - Revealed to be a stage hazard on the Kalos Elite 4 stage in the Meta Knight section of the website.
- Demon Lord Ghirahim - Revealed to be an assist trophy through the Pic of the Day. This was a sad day.
- Riki - Part of Shulk's Final Smash and an assist trophy.
- Dunban - Part of Shulk's Final Smash.
- Dr. Kawashima - Revealed to be an assist trophy through a website update.
- Ridley - Has a ton of mechanics of a playable character without actually being one. Oh, and he's a stage boss on the Pyrosphere.
- Everyone who's not actually a playable character.
Un-Disconfirmed Characters Edit
These characters are now actually playable thanks to DLC (Mii costumes don't count).
- Mewtwo - Literally everyone pissed their pants when Xander Mobus declared that "MEWTWO IS ON THE WAY" at the end of the 50 Facts Extravaganza
- Lucas - Confirmed to be returning thanks to a trailer. Everyone cried many manly tears because their baby was coming back to wreck some more.
- Roy - Accidentally leaked then revealed before the release of the DLC. Someone probably got fired for that.
- Ryu - Basically the same as Roy.